As a Dementia Friends Champion, your responsibilities include:
- To act as an ambassador for Dementia Friends and promote the program throughout your networks and communities.
- To organize your volunteer time as a Champion, deciding when, and where, you can lead Dementia Friends session.
- To describe Dementia Friends sessions as Information Sessions rather than “trainings,” so that participants know what to expect.
- To represent the principles of the Dementia Friends program by following the Champion’s Guide and Session Workbook.
- To promptly record your Dementia Friends sessions and the number of Dementia Friends completing each session.
- To email email@example.com with any questions or if you no longer want to be a volunteer Dementia Friends Champion.
Before your Dementia Friends Information Sessions:
- Register as a Champion at www.DementiaFriendsVirginia.org and gain access to session materials.
- Send your session schedule (date/time/location) to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you schedule them so they can be added to the website.
- Find basic information about community services and supports available for people affected by dementia in the community where you will deliver a Dementia Friends session.
- Email email@example.com for guidance if you need to adapt your session for diverse audiences.
During your Information Sessions:
- Deliver the Dementia Friends session as well as possible using the Champion’s Guide and Session Workbook.
- Give Dementia Friends materials only to those who attend a Dementia Friends session.
- After your Information Sessions:
- Promptly send the number of participants who complete each Dementia Friends session at to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a Dementia Friends Champion, please:
- Do not promote your professional or personal expertise and interests during Dementia Friends Session
- Do not give advice about specific situations. Instead refer people to the Alzheimer's Association (Virginia Chapters)
- Do not offer to stay in touch with session attendees in your Champion role, expect to arrange future Dementia Friends sessions.
- Do not accept gifts, money or any item of material value from the host or attendees of your Dementia Friends sessions.
- Do not act in any manner that could negatively affect Dementia Friends Virginia.
What can I expect from being a Dementia Friends Champion?
- To be part of an international movement making our communities more respectful, safe and inclusive for the growing number of people living with dementia and those who care about them.
- To receive sufficient training and support so that you can feel confident in the Champion role.
- To build your own understanding of dementia.
- To be updated on Dementia Friends news and development
- To feel valued and appreciated for your contribution and encouraged to offer suggestions.
- To choose for yourself how long you continue as a Dementia Friends Champion
Thank you for being part of the Dementia Friends movement!